Web design by Multiplex
© Stewart L. Hofgartner 2010
Below Stairs of Hungerford is a unique Antique shop specialising in items of the 19th and early 20th Century. Our high street shop, with five themed showrooms around the courtyard contain a magical view into the period.
Shop opening hours are 10.00 am to 6.00 pm, 7 days a week including Bank Holidays and our online store is open around the clock for you to peruse and order from an extensive stock list.
All our stock is old, original and beautifully presented, with an emphasis on good English items. We carry no modern or reproductions.
We have a very extensive stock in the shop and showrooms, with the Online store offering an increasing range. Provision of good descriptions is a feature of our service and the items we stock include:
- Door fittings: Locks, handles, finger plates, letter flaps, knockers, bell pushes, bell pulls and bolts.
- Window fittings: For both sash and casement designs.
- Coat hooks, stair rods and curtain rails.
- Lighting: Ceiling and wall lights, standard and table lamps, mainly electric and oil but some candle and gas.
- Decorative garden items: Staddlestones and troughs, garden tables and benches, street lamps and hay racks, garden edges, urns and flower pots and hundreds of other items to plant up.
- Collectables - medical, veterinary, postboxes, advertising and shop fittings, horsebrasses, sporting, firefighting, scales, weights and measures, corkscrews, fishing tackle, chemist jars, luggage, automobilia and many, many other subjects.
- Kitchenalia of all descriptions.
- Furniture - mainly bedroom, but some kitchen.
- Fireside accessories: fenders and fire irons, andirons and fire dogs, coal helmets and coal boxes.
- Safes and Strongboxes, locks and keys.
- Taxidermy and items of natural history interest.
In addition to our Online Store, pictures and prices may be sent by post or email, deliveries can be arranged worldwide. Our Online Store will usually determine all dispatch costs, but for unusual shapes, weights or more complex shipping destinations, we will need to calculate and quote individually.
If you are a collector of a particular subject matter, or are looking for a specific item, we maintain a very successful customer requirements file and would be pleased to include your details if you let us know them.
Our extensive stock is mainly refurbished by our own workshops and sold ready for use. We are also pleased to quote for restoration work on customers own items.